Friday, May 21, 2010

what lies ahead

i'm sorry to those of you who commented on my posts and i didn't notice. i'm pretty sure no one ever really reads this so if you have thank you! and if you comment DOUBLE thank you's!

i'm still resting my foot. alvin and i noticed about a week after the marathon that the little pointy bone in the side of the foot (i know there's a really cool name for it but i don't remember what it is) was sticking out farther than usual and more than the other side. the weird thing is that it's on my left foot (it was my right that gave me so much trouble during the marathon, but the pain evened out afterwords. not that the pain got better, mind you). my ankle's also been giving me issues so i've been icing that about once a day. after icing the other night, just lying in bed, reading, i had the worse charlie horse known to man. well, probably not that bad. but it hurt so much i cried out. and it seemed to last a good 45 seconds. that's years in charlie horse time.

so i went for another visit to the PT's and this one gave me some stretches and other advice to treat it. she also advised me to baby it and stay off it as much as possible. if anyone's got an extra bike lying around she also told me to use that instead of even walking around campus. i've been cross-training with 30 day shred and spinning. i even braved the eliptical for 15 minutes. it wasn't even awful, though i did start to feel a little pain toward the end. we got EA Active today and i tried that. besides the obnoxious trainer... well, at least there's a lot of different workout options so we'll see how it goes.

i'm thinking about the Crater Lake Rim Run in august. it looks awesome! the altitude is above 7000 feet, though, which i wasn't intimidated by (flagstaff is about 6700) until i told alvin and his eyes almost bugged out of his head. i forget we're only around 400 feet. if i do decide to run it we'll camp out a couple nights before to get used to the air. the whole race (10k-ish, half and full marathons) is capped at 500 participants. that could get lonely at the end. i LURVE crater lake, though. alvin and i went camping there the summer we dated and jumped in the freezing lake. i puked most of the way home not knowing chloe was on her way. then my first term back to school i took a geology of the NW class and did a report on mt. mazama and crater lake. pretty nutsy stuff! not to mention it's absolutely gorgeous! the water is so clear you can almost see the bottom.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know about this blog of yours. I'll definitely start reading it! I want to do Crater Lake too, but I have nobody to watch my kids :( I love it there. Emme and I swam in the lake last summer... brrrr! You should totally do it. What distance would you run?

    I hope you start healing a little bit faster!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep running into obstacles that prevent me from running. First I birthed a kidney stone, then today I broke a toe. So much for the goal of being skinny when I see you this summer. Good thing you love me all roundish and curvy.

    Hope your foot feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. laurie, bring them! alvin wouldn't mind watching five kids :) in theory i want to do the marathon. in reality... well, that's a whole different story altogether.

    oh rachel, you are beautiful period. how did you break your toe?! if it makes you feel better i've gained a solid five pounds since the beginning of the year (and it's definitely not muscle) and i doubt i'll lose it by the time you guys visit. maybe we'll be able to jog on the beach together?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I'm sure that after spending several hours with my 4 kids Alvin would be fixed for sure... best birth control ever! I'd like to do the 13 miler, my dad is running the 6.7 and my mom is walking it, Dan has bar prep class he can't miss so I'm waiting to find out what my mother-in-law is up to that day. If something works out (which I'm not holding my breath for) I'll let you know. :)

    ReplyDelete